Mexican Chicken Tostadas
Tostadas are small round flour tortillas that are deep fried and then topped with a topping.
Gives 10 – 12 Tostadas
¾ cup flour, ¼ tsp salt, 1½ tbsp oil
4 tbsp warm water to make the dough (approx.)
250 gms boneless chicken – cut into 2″ long, thin strips
1 tsp finely chopped ginger, 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
3 whole, dry red chilies
3 spring onions – diagonally sliced along with the green part
1 tsp salt, ¼ tsp sugar, 2 tbsp vinegar, ½-¾ cup grated cheese
1 cup thick yogurt – hang for 1 hour in a muslin cloth, 1 tsp lemon juice
½ cup (100 gm) fresh cream – chilled, ¼ tsp salt, or to taste
- For the sour cream, beat chilled cream with lemon juice until it turns thick and can stand in soft peaks. Separately whip hung curd with salt till smooth. Gently mix cream with the whipped curd. Keep in the refrigerator until serving time.
- For the dough, mix flour, salt, and oil together. Add warm water gradually and make a dough. Cover and keep aside for ½ an hour. Divide into 10 parts.
- Roll out each part (use little dry flour if needed) into a thin tortilla, like a chapati.
- Heat a griddle. Cook tortilla on a hot griddle. When brown specks start appearing overturn & cook the other side for 1 minute or till brown specks start appearing. Remove from heat. (Make all tortillas & keep warm wrapped in foil).
- For the topping, soak whole red chilies in water for 10 minutes. Grind in the mixer to a rough paste. Use a little water if needed for grinding.
- Heat 4 tbsp oil. Add ginger and garlic. Fry for 1 minute.
- Add chicken and fry till it changes color.
- Add ground red chilies, white part of spring onions, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Lower heat. Cover and cook for 5-6 minutes or until chicken are tender.
- Add green part of spring onions & vinegar. Increase heat & cook till nearly dry.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom pan. Fry tostadas one at a time on both sides (1-2 minutes) till crisp. Remove and drain on paper napkins.
- To assemble, top each tostada with chicken mixture, then sprinkle with some cheese. Add a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately.